IK Logo

Online Difficulties

Computer or software related discussion.

Moderator: {§ÎR}MrBee®

Thu 30 Oct, 2008 5:08 am

• For about a month, I've been having huge lag issues when I'm on any of our game servers. The following things I've tried:

1. Clean install using Windows XP SP2/3 32/64, Windows Vista SP1 32/64.
    2. Updated to newest motherboard and video drivers.
    3. Tried using older mb and vc drivers.
    4. Bypassed the router and hooked up network line direct.
    5. Contacted my ISP and had them do a check on my lines and modem.
    6. Did a speedtest several times and I'm getting fantastic pings and broadband download/upload speeds. 30 mbps/768 kbps
    7. Swapped out my eVGA GTX 260 FTW card for my old 8800 card.
    8. Setup another gaming machine on my network and joined our servers.
    9. Game Tweaks

Nothing made a difference. It was the same across the board with huge lag and periodic game stalls. I've never been booted though. I never know when it will occur. It's not consistant enough to say it's a particular time of the day.

From all the evidence above, it would seem like it's my internet connection since #8 above ruled out completely that it was my new hardware. When I download files or surf online, it does so at a super high rate of speed. Only in the game does it seem to bog. I joined other public servers that had similar pings and had mixed results. I need to confirm one way or another that it is or isn't happening on other servers. Once i rule that out, it would have to be ISP related. Here is the traceroute results to the POL:

Another thing is when i'm having these huge lags where i keep repeating the same run over and over again (have to stop and let it catch up), other people around me is running around me super fast unaffected. DarkPlague said he could see me cutting in and out of space-time-continuum. LOL

If anyone has any advice or options that i could try, I'd be very grateful. This is really starting to annoy.

Thanks,

Greg

ps- I'm changing my IP address just in case someone is DOS'in me.

Windows 10 Pro, Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 1151 Unlocked, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx soundcard, Logitech® G9x Laser Mouse, 850 EVGA Supernova PSU.
    {ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Thu 30 Oct, 2008 10:45 am

• Sometime the same thing happens to me and this was some of the things that I would get as well..........

out of nowhere the trans would pop out and fire then switch back to the gun even though I did not hit the keys to do so killing my self with the deamer as well...........

What fixed it all for me was when I reinstalled I did not copy over my old directory s from my back up back over to my ut dir just downloaded the maps from the server this worked most the time kind of suck haven to download from the servers but sometimes it happens think it is a bug in one of the files that you might have picked up from a different server (this is a big maybe)

If you have tried this and it still dose it then I would remote in to the server box tracert back and see if not look at hardwere maybe something defective out of box that a long shot in the dark but who knows
    {§ÎR}Earthishome7569
    Knight

Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:55 pm

• Thank you for your help Earth. :)

This is something I just tweaked on the server's ut2004.ini for the POL.

I had the MaxClientRate set too high. It was 25000 and I lowered it to 15000 and dropped the TickRate from 90 to 65.

This is one of those things where we have to play it for a few days and see. As of right now though (too premature) I just played several games without any lag at all. I'll leave it on that setting and see after a few days of play.

Windows 10 Pro, Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 1151 Unlocked, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx soundcard, Logitech® G9x Laser Mouse, 850 EVGA Supernova PSU.
    {ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 9:26 pm

• I just had the same thing playing on one of the Immortal Knights server as well. Exactly as you descrived

"North American Knights" Association
    Rowsbud
    Page

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 9:30 pm

• one more thin i noticed is that my ping would go from 60 to 999 . Stay at 999 for a very short time then back to 60 then game played great for a while then back up again .

"North American Knights" Association
    Rowsbud
    Page

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 11:27 pm

• Do you remember which server it was Rowsbud?

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Wed 12 Nov, 2008 1:54 am

Wed 12 Nov, 2008 1:55 am

Wed 12 Nov, 2008 9:29 am

• Everything should be ok now. Thanx for letting us know.

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Return to Hardware/Software

Information