IK Logo

USB hard drive

Computer or software related discussion.

Moderator: {§ÎR}MrBee®

Thu 14 Feb, 2013 11:26 am

• My laptop hard drive is getting full. What do You guys think about putting UT2k4 on a USB drive? I'm going to try a Toshiba 1tb drive and put the whole game on it. I tried putting my music on a flash drive, but it didn't work to well. UT is getting bigger all the time because of new maps and stuff. Anyone had experience with using these drives to play UT? :lol:
    Reptyle
    Page

Thu 14 Feb, 2013 2:13 pm

• Yes Reptyle I do, from my experience it's not recommended to connect your game on an external USB hard drive, it will slow down your game because the speed of information going through your previous/original connection (SATA or IDE) is much faster than the USB external drive data transfer speed.

Everytime you start UT2K4, or even load a map while you're playing is going to make the system top ask and oad that information from an outside source and in youir case it's your new outside USB drive I guaranty you that that will make your game way slower and even unplayable.

My suggection to you is to move all pictures, videos, music, documents to the new USB hard drive and only install softwares, games and applications on the main drive (C drive), also do a SYSTEM CLEAN UP, that will help you get rid of all the dead and temporary files.

Bottom line it's not a good practice to install softwares outside your main or slave drive unless you really know what you're doing.

If you need more help on how you can Clean you System let me know I will write some steps for you, but make sure to move all big files THAT ARE NOT SOFTWARES to you new USB drive or record them on DVD's and CDs
    {ÎK}POWER
    Champion

Fri 15 Feb, 2013 10:02 am

• Everything seems to be working fine. Initial game load may take longer,but playing seems ok. It's just a laptop.
    Reptyle
    Page

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 1:10 pm

• Not working as well as I thought. Had to put the game back on internal drive. Was having some lockup problems.
    Reptyle
    Page

Mon 18 Feb, 2013 5:50 pm

• I know Rep :)

I experienced that issue before, for the best performance it's always better to install games and softwares on the main or salve drive, specially if the game or app has huge files like UT.

A labtop connected to an external drive where the game is installed is bound to slow down and fail (game fail not labtop fail), you might not notice that in the beginning when the cache size is small but when the UT cache folder gets bigger and bigger with time you will start noticing the problems.
    {ÎK}POWER
    Champion

Tue 19 Feb, 2013 12:37 pm

• Wireless Mouse ( BAD ) for our game type ..
    Wireless Keyboard ( BAD ) for our game type ...

:-)

i experienced that too

{§ÎR}MrBee®
    Master Lord

Tue 19 Feb, 2013 2:27 pm

• You're absolutely right Mr Bee, all my devices are wired.
    {ÎK}POWER
    Champion

Return to Hardware/Software

Information