IK Logo

Logitech G9 Review

Computer or software related discussion.

Moderator: {§ÎR}MrBee®

Sat 15 Mar, 2008 8:42 pm

• Just received my Logitech G9 Laser Mouse from NewEgg and thought I would write a quick review on it.

The G9 is the most configurable mouse I've ever bought. Logitech designed this with the serious gamer in mind. You have a choice of two changable housings. One thick and rigid and the other narrow and smooth, coated with thin ply of rubber. Button placements are much smarter than in previous Logitech mice. Also comes with a braided cord which appears to be very durable and is easier to slide across your desktop. The G9 has a wieght cartridge which can support up to 28 grams. I personally have my G9 fully loaded for better accuracy. There are LED indicator lights on top of the mouse to let you know your current settings and/or profile. You can set up profiles for the G9 and bind them to a certain program or game. Another kewl option is the ability to change the LED's color to quickly identify which profile you are currently using. The configurations are performed in the SetPoint software, but the G9 can keep your setup, even after you unplug it to use on another computer. The G9 is very accurate, blowing away the MX518. I did have a hard time setting up the feel to suit my taste, but after a day in a half of trial and error, I finally have it set to my liking. If precision headshots is what you need whille on the run, the G9 is definately for you. The only con I see is the thin layer of rubber on the narrow housing. I give it 2 months before it starts peeling off.

Rating: 9/10

cyber

Windows 10 Pro, Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 1151 Unlocked, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx soundcard, Logitech® G9x Laser Mouse, 850 EVGA Supernova PSU.
    {ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Sat 15 Mar, 2008 10:41 pm

• great review Greg. I currently have the g5 Should this be something I should be upgrading to or just stick with what I have for now?

Thanks
    Cheers,
    {§ÎR}Kéndríx

{§ÎR}Kéndríx
    Master Lord

Sun 16 Mar, 2008 2:46 am

• I would only recommend it up from a MX518. The G5 is a great mouse with the traditional feel to it. I would stick with what you have. The G9 looks large on the pic, but it has a very small footprint. The G5 is considered a palm mouse while the G9 is considered a fingertip mouse. Your palm rest on your desk surface while your fingers do the controlling. You're using different muscles to navigate so it takes some time to get used to. When you do though, it seems your movements in game are more fluid. To me you have more control for accuracy due to your palm being the anchor enabling you to stop on a dime.

The Fatal1ty 1010 mouse was the first to create this style of mice and it looks like it's catching on.

Microsoft released it's new SideWinder shown below:

Windows 10 Pro, Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 1151 Unlocked, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx soundcard, Logitech® G9x Laser Mouse, 850 EVGA Supernova PSU.
    {ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Sun 16 Mar, 2008 11:23 am

• thanks for the response. I do enjoy my g5 I was not sure and everyone knows how hard it is when looking at new mice. it takes a lot to locate that one mouse that works for you.

thanks
    Cheers,
    {§ÎR}Kéndríx

{§ÎR}Kéndríx
    Master Lord

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 9:02 pm

• I have to say...the G9 has been the best mouse I've ever had. Very accurate. After a ton of use, the scroll wheel has become very sloppy and loose. It makes transing and switching to weapons very difficult. I need to fix it or buy another.

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 9:12 pm

• my next question, how do you feel after playing with it for an extended gaming session?? better or is your elbow, forearm and wrist beat down? I need another one and am really in need of one with great ergonomics as well as all the other stuff :)

Chef
    {ÎK}Írôn Chef
    Lord

Sat 15 Aug, 2009 8:35 am

• I swear by the G9. I trans the entire game without stopping and play all night. It's when i have high competition and i'm transing my ass off. If it was any other mouse I couldn't have done it. I used my Miscrosoft 2.0 mouse last night and i major problems transing. The problem is....I use my scroll wheel to switch weapons. It has to have a certain feel to it. Not too loose...not too tight. The G9 had that feel until i wore it out. lol I took it apart and tried to bend the tension spring. It BROKE! hahaha Looks like i need to buy another.

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Thu 27 Aug, 2009 7:54 pm

• {§ÎR}Írôn Chef wrote:my next question, how do you feel after playing with it for an extended gaming session?? better or is your elbow, forearm and wrist beat down? I need another one and am really in need of one with great ergonomics as well as all the other stuff :)

Chef

Joe I hear ya that is my prob. I feel like I just got done with an extended hour of masturbation crap
    Cheers,
    {§ÎR}Kéndríx

{§ÎR}Kéndríx
    Master Lord

Return to Hardware/Software

Information