IK Logo

Good News On System Specs

Unreal Tournament III Chat.

Moderator: {§ÎR}MrBee®

Sun 05 Aug, 2007 11:07 am

• Your Crappy 2½ Year Old Computer Will Run UT3 - RaptoR -
    7/31/07 7:18 PST - General UT3 News

Unreal Tournament 3 lead designer Steve Polge dropped by the BU forums to talk about the recent glut of UT3 footage to come out of Comic-Con. Steve comments that the top-of-the-range Alienware systems used at Comic-Con would easily run UT3 at max details, and that UT3 playtesting was being done on 2.5 year old rigs with mid-range GeForce 7800 graphics cards.

A few comments: we're still working on player and pickup visibility - we're confident we've got a system that will address those issues well. We haven't fully implemented this system because we need to make sure all character skins and level lighting is finalized before we tweak it. We also have a very nice material based system for making it easy to pick out team colors on players and vehicles at any distance, where the red or blue is boosted based on distance. That way you get natural looking characters and vehicles up close, whose team is clearly distinguishable even at the furthest viewable distance.

Those machines are way overkill for the highest detail level - the only reason it wasn't turned on was because the option isn't exposed in the menus. We do all of our play testing on 2.5 year old systems with 7800s in them - that's our target medium detail (what you were seeing today) platform. Quad core doesn't help much for performance, but having a dual core machine is a big benefit.

Stinger primary fire is still a hitscan minigun, although that build has some issues with the tracers feeling a touch laggy. Stinger alt-fire is not hitscan, however.

Windows 10 Pro, Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 1151 Unlocked, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx soundcard, Logitech® G9x Laser Mouse, 850 EVGA Supernova PSU.
    {ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Sun 05 Aug, 2007 4:20 pm

Sun 05 Aug, 2007 6:43 pm

• {§ÎR}çyßêrhåwk wrote:Your Crappy 2½ Year Old Computer Will Run UT3 - RaptoR -
    7/31/07 7:18 PST - General UT3 News

Unreal Tournament 3 lead designer Steve Polge dropped by the BU forums to talk about the recent glut of UT3 footage to come out of Comic-Con. Steve comments that the top-of-the-range Alienware systems used at Comic-Con would easily run UT3 at max details, and that UT3 playtesting was being done on 2.5 year old rigs with mid-range GeForce 7800 graphics cards.

A few comments: we're still working on player and pickup visibility - we're confident we've got a system that will address those issues well. We haven't fully implemented this system because we need to make sure all character skins and level lighting is finalized before we tweak it. We also have a very nice material based system for making it easy to pick out team colors on players and vehicles at any distance, where the red or blue is boosted based on distance. That way you get natural looking characters and vehicles up close, whose team is clearly distinguishable even at the furthest viewable distance.

Those machines are way overkill for the highest detail level - the only reason it wasn't turned on was because the option isn't exposed in the menus. We do all of our play testing on 2.5 year old systems with 7800s in them - that's our target medium detail (what you were seeing today) platform. Quad core doesn't help much for performance, but having a dual core machine is a big benefit.

Stinger primary fire is still a hitscan minigun, although that build has some issues with the tracers feeling a touch laggy. Stinger alt-fire is not hitscan, however.

Oooooookkkkkkkkkk!! finally ! Lets geek out !!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! ;)
    So what to do?? upgrade to a 7800 AGP card and add some more ram at the same time( I only have 512K now) or get a PCI express board, 7800- 8800 PCI card, and all that would entail ( build one up from scratch)
    My current comp is a old ass intel pebt2 mobo 400fsb p4 2.4 with a 9800 ATI vid card. I'm just wondering if its more cost effective to build one or put new shoes on this one?? LOL
    Inquiring minds want to know....WWCD ( what would Cyber do ) LMAO!!

Thanks for any geeky help, I'm lost on all this new crap thats out today!!
    :(

Chef
    {ÎK}Írôn Chef
    Lord

Tue 02 Oct, 2007 8:40 pm

• Cool , but i did not make my homework Cyber..
    is it true that UT3 will only work on that new VISTA ?
    :roll:

{§ÎR}MrBee®
    Master Lord

Thu 04 Oct, 2007 2:00 am

• It will work on Windows XP SP2+ or Windows Vista. :)

Windows 10 Pro, Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 1151 Unlocked, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx soundcard, Logitech® G9x Laser Mouse, 850 EVGA Supernova PSU.
    {ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Thu 04 Oct, 2007 6:17 am

Thu 04 Oct, 2007 6:41 am

• You're certainly welcome Master Lord. :)

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Mon 08 Oct, 2007 11:01 pm

Return to UT3 Discussion

Information