IK Logo

cyberhawk's zark tips

Unreal Tournament 2004 Chat.

Moderator: {§ÎR}MrBee®

Mon 22 Aug, 2011 9:18 pm

• I've been spectating a lot on the POL and have followed many players. I want to address a few common mistakes that I've noticed.

Mistakes:

1.) Standing still in the open. This makes you an easy target. It is important to kill thy enemy, but it's just as important to not give up points. If there's 5 players in the game, that means you have 4 targets to shoot at. If you don't give up points to the other players, they only have 3 targets to shoot at. 3 targets on a large map isn't good and it will take the other players longer to find each other. The player looking for a flawless victory (or coming close) will have more opportunities during a game to capture points as he/she will have one more target to choose from.

2.) Multi-jumping is also a bad idea unless mixed with transing due to the "floating factor" and the character jump sound gives your location away. Exceptions are when you need to get up high without being seen for a quick super weapon launch. The only time you see me multi-jump is after I executing the "Flying Dutchman" which is the double strafe to the side and then a jump forward. If you do it just right, you can strafe across the entire map at a high rate of speed. Added jumps are needed for hang time.

3.) Transing in a straight line. When someone does this to me, I change my angle of pursuit by dropping in behind the player and auto firing in an up and down motion. You will most likely hit the player or the trans beacon. Either way, they're dead. Mix up your transing patterns, such as side to side then up and down. If you're wanting to pick up an object (weapon, ammo, health, etc), don't make a "b" line to it. A good zark player will know what you're going for and aim ahead on the object itself and wait for you to try and pick it up. I personally use the "Trans-Skip Method": While transing erratically pass to the side of the object and then quickly launch your trans directly at the pickup item. You basically appear on the item, but your trans immediately continues. If you do it right, they won't even see you pick it up. This also resets your multi-jump count making it a 2-for-1.

4.) If you get killed repeatedly on a map you're unfamiliar with, stop coming back to that area cause guess what....you're going to get killed again. I'm amazed at the people that do this. EX: In "Tomb of Ra", players kept getting killed by me as they enter the main room with the ramp. They kept coming back.......stopping in the open and try to find out where I am. You'll never know that way, cause you gave me enough time to zoom in and headshot your digital ass. You will never hear the shot if it's a clean kill. What you do is trans around like a madman in that area, making your way around the room. Eventually you'll draw out sniper fire. If you can remain alive long enough, you can zero in on their general location. Next time you're playing me in a large map, check out my moves. I always go immediately to the center and fly around like a dragonfly on crack. I don't do this to show off. Once all of you fire, I know exactly where you are. Once I know where you're at, I mentally prioritize the kill order. With practice this comes natural and happens in under a second.

I don't care if you're a newb or elite zark master, I use spectate mode on all of you. I learn your strengths and weaknesses. I also pick up on any hot spots and secret areas you reveal. I then integrate your strengths into my own (like the borg collective- lol) and exploit all your weaknesses. I have many weaknesses for any observer to pick up on, you just have to look. Even though it looks like i'm randomly transing, there's actually a pattern.

Next tips I will cover my computer, mouse and UT settings. :) Thanks for reading.

cyber

Windows 10 Pro, Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 1151 Unlocked, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx soundcard, Logitech® G9x Laser Mouse, 850 EVGA Supernova PSU.
    {ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Wed 24 Aug, 2011 12:55 pm

• Yesterday, I was desperately trying to lose you, transing like crazy for a good while. As soon as I stopped you killed me. I'm thinking those trans trails just light up your path. Gotta mix some stealthy moves in after the last trans. - FF

PS. Your mines have blown me up many times, leaving some great sniper spots and weapons pick up areas just off limits basically. Hard to counteract w/o sacrificing myself and unfortunately giving u another frag.
    {§ÎR}FrigginFragger
    Champion

Wed 24 Aug, 2011 7:46 pm

• You're right...the last trans is the most important in that situation. I'm honest when I say you may be the hardest player to follow. You're way more accurate than me. I can only watch as you pass over, under and through a 1 ft. square window. Most of the time I just back all the way out and just wait for you to stop. Most of the time you go to the far side of the map and then drop out of transing to kill a bot or player. I have my scope zoomed in and wait the the moment. If I get you quick enough, I can get the player or bot you were engaging. Depending who I think has the advantage......I kill them first. That is part of prioritizing your shot as I touched upon in the first tutorial.

In the "Tomb Of Ra", it is a cat and mouse game. Speed and accuracy plays very little on this map. Strategy however is everything. I would suggest you follow me in spectate mode when I'm in there. I have a systematic pattern that really seems to work. The Vortex weapon doesn't really pay off and I only use it for fun. Getting someone with the Vortex weapon is hard, but when you finally get someone......it has psychological effects that last throughout the match and it's best to use in the first half. The hidden room (camp spot) is best seat in the house and is easily defended. Before you perch there, make sure you grab the spider mines. There are three ways to get to the room. 1.) From the front. You can see the outline of the room if your texture settings are on low which I do. 2.) From the back. There's a small hidden slot assessable from one of the hallways left of the large crate with the shield on top. 3.) Teleport. From the main hall, run up the ramp and down the hall where you dead in into a small room filled with water. Swim all the way down and all the way to the right. The portal entrance will be on the right side of the column all the way down. You must be touching the face. To defend your sniping spot, enter through the backside and place spidermines all around (3 in your perch area and 1 in the dropdown area that leads to the back entrance). If a person tries to sneak up on you from behind, the single spidermine will give you warning. If a person tries to enter from the front or via portal, the 3 spider mines will most likely kill anyone attempting so. Never get too close to the face of the one way wall as your gun will stick through and give your location away. Alternate where you stand to keep them guessing. They can't see you, but more less have to guess where you're at. Being in here you have a huge advantage. You can snipe players in the main hall where most like to battle. There's also several spawn points where you can RAPE all day long. Spawn raping is a sure way to have someone quit on ya. :( From this vantage point you can also see most other secret areas. If someone tries to go into the two higher perches to the left and right, you can wait til they settle and then launch a law rocket into the room's ceiling killing them. To the left and far off, there's another hidden see thru wall where someone could be hiding. I do a quick peek every now and again and use my zoom to let me know if anyone is hiding there (red circle indicator) If they are and fire bullets, aiming to the bottom of the window. All I have to do is hit any of the ammo boxes that's in there. Since the ammo boxes are explosive to bullets, anyone in there will be toast and scare the crap out of them. If someone manages to get by all your safeguards, you have the option to bail out the front, switch to your law rocket launcher, quick spin and fire into the room as you fall. Don't fire too soon, wait till you're at least half the way to the floor. I'm always confident after placing spider mines to leave the area and shoot unsuspecting players in the back sections and halls. If someone tries to take the spot by force, the spider mines will get them. When you see that on your screen, quickly make your way back to reapply the mines. This process continues throughout the match. If someone does kill you and makes a b-line to that spot and has spider mines in place, don't try to go in. Instead, find a law rocket (many around if you look) and shoot into the opening. You can also trans up high and try to hit the ammo boxes that's laying on the left back corner of the hidden room (very hard to do as you cannot see them). Never use the draw out method in this senario, you have to be perfect to execute effectively. That's really the only thing you can do however if you pass through the flame portal into another secret area and someone has the other side of the portal mined. Trans through and keep transing.....if you stop you die!

Hope this helps anyone reading this,

cyber

Windows 10 Pro, Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 1151 Unlocked, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx soundcard, Logitech® G9x Laser Mouse, 850 EVGA Supernova PSU.
    {ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Thu 25 Aug, 2011 11:44 pm

• It does help. Executing all this is the hard part. First player to do it has the advantage. I'm not sure about the other hidden wall to the left. Are you talking about the entrance thru the wall to the little platform in the corner? The one you get to from the column base?

As for following me, you seem to do pretty well. Hard to keep transing and then take that quick shot. I have to remember not to stop above the bots either, they seem to be more lethal than when you're on the ground.

Thanks for the tips. Oh, what keys do you use for moving (asdw) and which do you use for going between trans and gun? I've been using Q for trans and E for gun.
    {§ÎR}FrigginFragger
    Champion

Fri 26 Aug, 2011 1:50 am

• If you're directly over a bot......the bot is very lethal. To kill a bot quickly, trans over the bot and do a quick 180 shot while backing. This draws the bot into a narrow line toward you and the shot for you is a straight one. Make sure when you trans over the bot you're on the ground just like you said.

I use my arrow keys to move around and the scroll wheel to switch between my weapons and tranz. I have a Logitech G9+ which makes it very quick. Only problem is sometimes its too quick and I scroll past and hang there in mid air, but overall it's the best for me.

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Mon 03 Oct, 2011 11:57 pm

• A few of you wanted to know what type of mouse and settings I use due to my accuracy.

My mouse is a Logitech G9+. This is a high end laser gaming mouse which has many settings and extra buttons (i don't use). It comes with a variety of weights in which you can place inside the mouse via a slide in cartridge. I have four 7 gram weights in mine equaling 28 grams. Heavy mouse = accuracy, due to slow drag. What I love about this mouse is that it's a "Claw Style" mouse, which means it's much shorter than standard mice. On a regular mouse your whole hand and palm sits atop and your elbow is the pivot point. Your forearm and wrist does a lot of sliding which I've always had a problem with. I couldn't be consistent due to environmental conditions such as temperature, humidity, which effects the sliding surface. Depending on conditions, your skin may be more clammier which causes heavy drag on your mouse surface and desk. The "Claw Style" is different. The palm of your hand is your pivot point and since it has less mass, it's easier to slide across your mouse pad or desk. The palm is generally thicker/harder skinned and doesn't stick as much. Another big issue for me was what type of mouse pad to use. I've bought cheap and expensive mouse pads with varieties of textures, but nothing beats a smooth wood grain desk. NO MOUSEPAD! It just gets in your way. Depending on your desk surface such as glass you may not be able to go this route. In this case, go with a heavy drag mouse pad. Avoid any made from plastic. There is a kewl setting for the G9+ where you can configure several sensitivity settings via programming and can change it in-game with a push of a button. It's something I need to do for tight indoor maps. May want a quicker turn around.

My mouse setting for "Mouse Sensitivity (Game)" is 1.35. I use Windows mouse settings instead of Logitech's and no acceleration. Since everyone has different mice, your settings may not equal mine, but it will get you close.

I asked myself a long time ago. "What do I want more? Accuracy or speed?" I chose "Accuracy" and it made all the difference. The lower your "Mouse Sensitivity" setting, the more accurate you are. Your crosshairs don't jump all over the place when trying to lock a bead. With my setting I can stay on you all day long and get more shots in the kill zone. I always aim for the head btw. Quicker death. I do have a hard time killing the lizard characters for some reason. I don't think their head kill zone is where it should be. I aim at the body on them. The tradeoff to being more accurate is your speed. I'm slower to change directions and have to double lift my mouse just to do a 180.

This isn't really about settings and accuracy, but a nice tip: Don't let someone else dictate the way a map/game is played. Just because everyone else is sniping/camping, doesn't mean you have to follow them. Sniping never works on me and you guys know that. Why? Cause you're a sitting duck when I find out where you are. That's why you see me tranzing around like a crazed idiot! I'm drawing out your fire. I have more problem with the people i see cause they're moving .. making themselves a harder target. A show of hands .. how many here has taken a shot at me from a fixed hidden position and instantly I turn zigzagging like a maniac toward your position and headshot you within seconds? Most of the time you shoot at me, I will "hear" you and triangulate your position within a half a second and you know what comes next. Your DEATH! I'm not being vain, just letting you know a thing or two about strategy. I have people I stay away from in certain maps. It's not that I'm scared, it's just the smart thing to do. If bad luck is on your side and you see someone's score pulling away from you, don't wait in hopes they're going to get better, cause they're not. You need to adapt and try something different. Doesn't matter what, just not what you've been doing, cause that hasn't worked out for you in this match. Don't wait till it's too late to mount a comeback. I personally (if available) go quickly for bots in order to come back from behind. It may be lame, but I play to win at ALL cost! There's nothing special about cyberhawk. I shit and wipe my ass just like all of you. Many have told me that my name entering a game makes a player's hand to shake. If this happens, you're already defeated. You defeated yourself. I tested this theory by aliasing under a false name. I can confirm that the players gave me more of a fight. I could see their confidence. Every single one of you will be on the same level I'm on if you stick with it and not get discouraged. My goal is to continue to give tips until all our scores are equal and it's any man's game. My next post will be about strategy and the best way to defeat "cyberhawk". Hope this tutorial was helpful.

Thanks for reading,

cyber

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Thu 06 Oct, 2011 6:58 pm

• Thank you for the great advice Cyber, I have so many bad habits that I need to get rid of and a lot of them are listed in your post :D . My main problem is that I'm very slow when it comes to “tranzing” and the only way for me to better my performance is to be able to move faster. So, do you thing changing the mouse sensitivity and weight alone can improve my "tranzing"? Also I use the CTRL in my keyboard as "alt-fire/trans" and the left mouse key for jumping, it hasn't been working out that well for me so what do you use for alt-fire/tans? your mouse or keyboard, thanks again for the tips.
    {ÎK}POWER
    Champion

Thu 06 Oct, 2011 8:57 pm

• Transing gives a player a huge advantage. Not only do you make yourself a hard target, but it allows you to move across the map with high speed. When Epic Games first created it, the Translocator was only designed to allow a player to reach places high up. It had a limited power source so you couldn't use it the way we do today. Thanks to a bit of modding, a zark master can literally fly with it.

In 2003, I got addicted to "Zark" which is the style you see on the POL (Playground of Legends). I eventually ranked no.1 on the global stats for the week and month, yet I didn't use the trans hardly at all. I watched as other players would fly into the sky with ease. As competition grew, Zark Transing became a standard and I knew I had to learn it or fall short of victory. I begun practicing offline without bots. This way you can remove the constant threat of being killed and can just practice the art of transing. If you try to use your mouse only to trans, you won't make it far and will quickly fall to the ground. You have to press your jump key in between beacon throws. This keeps you in the air as long as you have jumps. You have 10 jumps in the POL. This allows for some long hang time. It is very important to know your jump count. It's sorta like knowing how many bullets you have left. On my 9th jump and sometimes less, I throw my trans to the earth or on top of a map object to reset my jump count back to 10. I must jump back up from the ground or it doesn't work. A good time to reset is when you see ammo, health, enhancer etc. Be very careful when doing this. Great players will set their site on a pickup and wait for you to grab it. If their timing is good......you're a deadman. Offensively if you're targeting a pickup that a player is going for, doing lay down fire prematurely as it will detour the would-be grabber. Too late and you miss your target. Defensively I use a method i call "Trans Skipping". Instead of transing down and walking through the pickup, I time it where as soon as the beacon is .0000001 seconds in front of the pickup, I quickly materialize and back into transing. It should be so fast that other players can't see you appear. Same with "Trans Fragging". Materialize....fire a headshot and back into transing. On a technical note, I use my scroll wheel to switch between the stealth and tranz.

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Thu 06 Oct, 2011 9:05 pm

• POWER wrote:Thank you for the great advice Cyber, I have so many bad habits that I need to get rid of and a lot of them are listed in your post :D . My main problem is that I'm very slow when it comes to “tranzing” and the only way for me to better my performance is to be able to move faster. So, do you thing changing the mouse sensitivity and weight alone can improve my "tranzing"? Also I use the CTRL in my keyboard as "alt-fire/trans" and the left mouse key for jumping, it hasn't been working out that well for me so what do you use for alt-fire/tans? your mouse or keyboard, thanks again for the tips.

I use my arrow keys to navigate, the ctrl to jump, shift to crouch, left mouse button to fire, right mouse button to alt-fire. When I trans, this is the combination: ctrl(jump)........fire(beacon toss).........alt-fire(teleport)........repeat.

Slow mouse settings and weights do nothing for transing. If anything it slows your transing speed side to side. I do it for accuracy when firing weapons. I'd be much harder of a target otherwise, but I wouldn't be able to hit targets like i do.

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Thu 06 Oct, 2011 9:17 pm

• BTW Power, since you're a regular on the POL, I can "push" your favorite custom skin. This is how custom skins on game servers work: Lets say you find a custom skin/model online and download it. You then install it on your computer. Next you play a game online and see your new pretty skin. The problem is, only YOU can see that skin. The rest of us see you as the default camo character. If everyone that was playing you on the game server had downloaded and installed that same skin, we'd then see your custom skin. As I mentioned earlier, I can "push" your skin which means that I make a .u file for your particular character and force people to download your skin when they log onto the POL. That's how you can see all my different models i personally use. This offer is good for anyone else that wants their skin/model pushed on the server.

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Fri 07 Oct, 2011 4:36 pm

• Hey Cyber, thank you so much for the advice and the instructions, learning something new like that will surely boost my performance and speed (after training of course), I'll c u in the battle field :wink:
    {ÎK}POWER
    Champion

Fri 07 Oct, 2011 4:44 pm

• BTW Power, since you're a regular on the POL, I can "push" your favorite custom skin. This is how custom skins on game servers work: Lets say you find a custom skin/model online and download it. You then install it on your computer. Next you play a game online and see your new pretty skin. The problem is, only YOU can see that skin. The rest of us see you as the default camo character. If everyone that was playing you on the game server had downloaded and installed that same skin, we'd then see your custom skin. As I mentioned earlier, I can "push" your skin which means that I make a .u file for your particular character and force people to download your skin when they log onto the POL. That's how you can see all my different models i personally use. This offer is good for anyone else that wants their skin/model pushed on the server.

Regarding the skins, I want my skin to be visible to other players it’s part of the strategy :). I have a couple of skins that I really like. Do you need me to send you the (.U) files for my skins? Please let me know. Thank you.
    {ÎK}POWER
    Champion

Fri 07 Oct, 2011 4:52 pm

• Usually custom skins comes with everything but the .u file. Send me the entire file and i'll create the .u file if it doesn't come with it.

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 6:27 am

• I'm going to let you all in on a secret. I love when players trans high in the sky.......i really really love it! Good for me, bad for you. :( In wrestling and football they have a saying, "Low man wins!". In Zark I use the same rule. Tranzing is key, but you don't want to advertise. I trans paralleling the map terrain and/or structures. I use my camo skins to blend in when the ground. Since Zark Rifles don't have splash damage, I don't have to worry about staying close to the ground. When you fly high in the sky, your camo is meaningless. There was an awesome player by the name of Spoon. He was a fellow Knight as well. He reminds me so much of FrigginFragger it's not even funny. The only thing keeping him from game superiority was the fact he liked to take the high road. Ghost Codeman from the A.S.S clan stays low to the grown and is one of the best I've ever seen. The only exception for going high is when you're in a very dark map and you have a dark skin. Also if you see someone coming down on you and they have the angle advantage, shoot the trans above them and shoot them as they fall beneath you. That teaches them a lesson to not try that sneaky shit. lol I do the same trick when i'm on the ground. I know you've seen me do it many times. When you come running up from behind me ready to shoot me in the back, I do a quick trans flick to my right and behind. I then shoot you in the back. I have the best ears there is and I know you're there even though i may not seem to show it at times. I assess the threat level and decide my kill priorities. My ears tells me where you are, my mind tells me who to target first and also tells me where in time and space target two, three, four will be once I'm done will number uno. The first part of this tip will make a world of difference to you and is very easy to implement into your strategy. The later part comes from years of experience and knowing your maps. It comes second nature.

{ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 3:02 pm

• No wonder that I have been "exploding" so much during the games specially when I play with you and FF, I just learned Zark Transing so I'm a little bit excited about flying that's why I'm all over the sky and like you said it's a bad strategy. I have been watching my STATS and learned that I'm the most KILLED player in the game (not proud of it), my score went up but still the excessive deaths brought my level of effectiveness down. So my next step is to learn how "NOT TO DIE" that easily, also acquiring a stealthy skin is a key factor in to improving my game, sometimes I cannot even see you guys so I'm sure this is a big plus, I still have a long way to go :)

Thank you Cyber for the Tips and please keep them coming, lately and specially after I joined Immortal Knightz I feel like my game got much better (thanks to your great advice). Watch out Knightz from now on it's only gonna get worse for you, lol.

PS: Cyber, how can I become a Knight?
    {ÎK}POWER
    Champion

Next

Return to UT2004 Discussion

Information