IK Logo

Cyber's Player Breakdown Of The Week: Vol.1

Unreal Tournament 2004 Chat.

Moderator: {§ÎR}MrBee®

• There was some good games last night on the Playground of Legends server. In one map (DM-BeautyBabes][v2), I was playing against {IK}Nine and Reptyle. I have to say, this is Nine's type of map for sure. I've always had a hard time playing him on this map. He has the portals and deep passageways down to a science. That being said, I'll give everyone a juicy tip for their personal gameplay. If a player is doing something well either in strategy, technique, or habit.......integrate their particular greatness into your own. Every player has something that we can draw from. I really suggest spectating every now and again to see what we can learn from each other. I won't tell Nine's secret strategies, but I will say that I have added his strength in map knowledge to my own. I recognize that he is unstoppable in a certain area, so my goal was to either find a way to be more affective against him while he was in that area, or prevent him from getting in that area to begin with. My choice was to take over that area and set up ambush. You can do this as long as there's heavy traffic in that area. The ultimate goal is to win, but also to gain points for your ranking. I choose to play in a way that can accommodate both. By doing this however, my points margin (between me and other players) will be significantly less than if I was just playing to score a win quick. In a match for money or clan team competition, I would just go for the win, no use to take chances.

Cyber's Player Breakdown

{IK}Nine

Strengths include map knowledge, quickness, evasiveness, strategy, and wit.

Map Knowledge: Knows most maps inside out. Will find the hot spots with high traffic, and find an advantage spot with covering or protective covering. Awesome navigator thru portals and knows where he is in time and space after spawning.

Quickness: Very quick to turn (My guess is that he has sensitive mouse settings). Don't ever sneak up behind him unless you want to die! I don't even have the confidence to approach him from that angle. Up close he definitely has the advantage.

Evasiveness: He always has a "Plan B" and at least one escape route pre-planned. If his advantage is compromised, he will fall back to regroup.

Strategy: Has a systematic approach to work the maps. Like myself, he has a good working routine that he keeps with.

Wit: Nine's ability for assessment and quick adaptiveness puts him ahead of most.
    Last edited by {ÎK}çyßêrhåwk on Wed 28 Aug, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows 10 Pro, Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 1151 Unlocked, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx soundcard, Logitech® G9x Laser Mouse, 850 EVGA Supernova PSU.
    {ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 1:06 am

• LOL, I know what he does in that map and he does it well, he's very effective when his there… I had to stakeout his spots few times to get him.

Like you said understanding the habit of the opponent and use it to our advantage is a great strategy among others that we need apply to our game.

Great tips as always cyber.
    {ÎK}POWER
    Champion

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 7:49 pm

• WOW! you mean you guys actually think while you're playin'? Here I thought it was all about runnin' around shootin' shit!...Guess thats why I'll never be a Knight...
    -=laslow=-
    Page

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 7:56 pm

Tue 27 Aug, 2013 10:28 pm

• Don't worry -=laslow=- I just shoot at what ever moves too :)
    {ÎK}Queen
    Queen

Thu 29 Aug, 2013 1:57 am

• hmmmm. spectating? isn't that cheating? lol
    Don't get me wrong... I do like to learn of other players tricks, hide outs, favorite camping sites and anything else I need to learn, but not from spectating. I like to learn on my own... :O

Another thing... I have noticed really bad lag when someone has spectated me and don't like one bit. :-( I don't know if it's just me or my crapy computer. :-(
    Darkplague
    Champion

Thu 29 Aug, 2013 1:02 pm

• I really don't think spectating is cheating because that feature is available to everyone, it's only conidered cheating if you use a custom feature, mod or mutator that is only available to you which gives you an unfair advantage. I spectated a lot and learned from others because of it.

You always see professional coaches in every sport watch all the tapes of pervious games before they play against that team to learn their ways and familiarize them selves with their strategy, spectating is actually homework ;)

But I agree with you in one thing, it does slow down the server a bit.
    {ÎK}POWER
    Champion

Thu 29 Aug, 2013 10:44 pm

• hmmm.. never in my whole life spectated and will start too.. and yes.. kills my winning streak when someone spectates me. lol
    Darkplague
    Champion

Fri 30 Aug, 2013 1:14 am

• People spectate me all the time, and it don't cause me to lag. Something doesn't seem right. I've been taking pictures and video of everyone for an action packed video compilation. I'd say that's where the bogging is coming from, not from just spectating. Sorry it that messed up your game DP. I have all I need for it so everyone is good to go. It took awhile to get everyone as they didn't play at the same time.

Spectating is part of the game. It's built into it for players to use. If you add something to the game or hack the existing code to gain an advantage, that would be considered cheating. Keybind hacks are in that gray area.....most people frown upon them, as for me I don't use them, but I don't care if other players do. Nothing beats natural movement as it has no downsides and lock you into a running sequence and place you somewhere where do not want to go. Every advantage seems to have a flaw that can be manipulated. It's all about finding and exploiting it.

I encourage everyone to spectate me whenever you get a chance. Even hit F4 to see first person view. You can learn a lot that way. For example....I spectated Ape until I mentally logged his whole routine. He has more of a consistant pattern than anyone I've seen thus far. ha. Last time I played him, I'd beat him to his hiding spots before he can lay his spidermine traps. As he enters....BAAAAM! HEADSHOT!! Did that about 4 times and he decided not to play anymore. Ape's strategy was to lure players in while he would sit back and wait. In certain maps this can be very affective if people fall for it. Unfortunately people continue to fall for it over and over and over again. Zark is much more than running and gunning.....I don't always, but I play to win. I do that partly by taking away someones key strengths and force everyone to play my game and style. That is where the consistancy comes from. Remember....knowledge is everything and you MUST know thy enemy. Every good boxer will watch tapes of his future opponent to find both strengths and weaknesses. ex.: Likes to uppercut while working the guy on the ropes. "STAY OFF ROPES". Drops his head slightly forward before delivering huge right. Whatever you can find....it's all there. :)

Windows 10 Pro, Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz 1151 Unlocked, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Gaming 4G, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx soundcard, Logitech® G9x Laser Mouse, 850 EVGA Supernova PSU.
    {ÎK}çyßêrhåwk
    King

Return to UT2004 Discussion

Information